Subject: Biz Tape From The horses mouth -Reply
From: Alan Lloyd <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 14:44:47 -0800

>>> Intelligent Light <[email-masked]> 03/05/96 03:59pm >>>

>After  going to production and seeing that it was 2 1/2 times
>longer than I  thought was going to be, I knew I couldn't produce it
>for what I had  intended. 

It seems that people are overlooking the "production" costs here,
to be sure.  Tape costs, edit time costs, CGI time costs, even if
you own the stuff you're working on!

>It was my inexperience that caused  this confusion. I have never
>done anything like this.

Producing a big tape?  Yeah, it can get to ya...I remember doing a
full hour doc a few years ago, offlining it myself, cutting it myself,
actually got it done in 3-1/2 months working around working
full-time, and doing ALMOST NOTHING ELSE.  People who don't
do full programs have very little idea what this can amount to.

>I thought if I worked with the people who wanted the tape, I could 
>produce a better product.

Generally yes, my experience also, but sometimes it turns into a
real mess.  Sometimes they want _creative input_ or worse,
_creative control_, then you're in for it...

Not sure I'm going to buy it immediately, as my VCR is hosed at
the moment and I'm moving into a new place in a week and
something, (buying this time!) but hey, if I can afford it then, who
knows?  I know I'm going to be eating crackers and water for a
while anyway, what difference will a few more bucks make?